Monday, February 8, 2016

End of Narrative Introductions Wksht + My Uncle and the Bear

Narrative Essay Structure:

Introduction –
General statement(s)
-          Introduce the topic without getting too specific
Thesis (point, main idea, why you are writing this essay (a reason for a stranger to read it))

Body –
Tell the entire story

Conclusion –
Reflect on the meaning of the story

***

Worksheet:

Part 4 –
                Everyone has interesting experiences on the New York City Subway. It is where all sorts of people from all over the world come together and are forced into close proximity, so it doesn’t take much for something unforgettable to occur. Most people complain about their public transit experience, but I think a public commute can have serious value. In fact, one amazing situation I experienced taught me that people aren’t always what they seem.




Part 5 –
                What is your most prized possession? If you ask people this question, you’ll often find that it’s not something expensive or fancy, but something that has sentimental value. That’s why losing something important to you, no matter its monetary worth, can be a really difficult experience. However, when I lost the ring my mom gave me, I learned that sentimental items mean much less than the love of the people who gave them.



Part 6 –

Vacations are always fun. They’re a great way to enjoy quality time with someone you love and have new or different experiences than what you do every day. My favorite vacations were those out in the country with my family. What I experienced out in the woods taught me that there’s so much more to life than collecting modern conveniences.

***

My Uncle and the Bear

We’ve all had the misfortune of having a frightful experience in our lives. When people think their lives are in danger, they will often react in surprising ways. When my uncle had his own frightening experience, he learned that being scared often reveals a person’s true character.


In the end, my uncle’s experience was a scary one, but one that taught him a good lesson about who he lets into his life. Meeting that bear in the woods showed him that his friend cared much more about himself than my uncle’s safety, and my uncle learned that not everyone who is friendly really has your best interest at heart. After hearing his experience, I think everyone should be more careful about whom they trust and depend on.