Monday, March 28, 2016

Parallel Structure and Essay Outline

NASA treats its employees well.
NASA pays its employees well.

NASA treats and pays its employees well.
NASA treats its employees well and pays them well too.

NASA treats its employees well.
NASA pays its employees badly.

NASA treats its employees well but pays them badly.

NASA carefully reviews each candidate.
NASA fairly reviews each candidate.

NASA carefully and fairly reviews each candidate.

In college, I studied astronomy.
In college, I studied geology.

In college, I studied astronomy and geology.

On my first day at my new job, the boss was very helpful
On my first day at my new job, my coworkers were very helpful.

On my first day at my new job, my boss and coworkers were very helpful.

On my first day at my new job, the boss was very helpful
On my first day at my new job, my coworkers were very rude.

On my first day at my new job, my boss was very helpful but my coworkers were very rude.

When the Curiosity rover landed on Mars, I went on Mars time.
When the Curiosity rover landed on Mars, I didn’t see my family very much.

When the Curiosity rover landed on Mars, I went on Mars time and didn’t see my family very much.
When the Curiosity rover landed on Mars, I went on Mars time, so I didn’t see my family very much.

NASA has safely launched many spaceships.
NASA has proudly launched many spaceships.

NASA has safely and proudly launched many spaceships.

I learned a lot during my first year at NASA.
I made many friends during my first year at NASA.

I learned a lot and made many friends during my first year at NASA.


----

Structure of an Expository Essay and Rough Essay Outline:

Introduction:
General Statement Choosing where to work can be a difficult decision.
Introduce the topics
The Ames Research Center and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory are both excellent places to have a job.
Have a clear thesis
However, in the end the Rearch Center was the best option for me because I would be closer to my family, the air is cleaner, and the surrounding city is less crowded.

Body:
Family
Topic sentence
Living near my family is important to me.
Support/describe/explain/give examples
Everyone in my family lives on the penninsula …

Body:
Clean air
Topic sentence
California is known for being smoggy, but the Bay Area has nicer air.
Support/describe/explain/give examples
They’ve cleaned up a lot, but it still isn’t enough, but I know that …

Body: Population
Topic sentence
The last reason I chose the job in northern California is that it has far fewer people.
Support/describe/explain/give examples
Its population is …

Conclusion:
Reword In the end, it’s clear that I could not have chosen to work anywhere but the Research Center.
Remind
Because my family is nearby, the air is clean, and it has a smaller population, I know I can truly be happy there.
Relate I cannot wait to start my new job.